Monday, June 27, 2011

Up To The Mountain.

Odd though it may be, I think our lives have soundtracks. Certain songs that seem to find their way into our life over the years. Mine range from Jewel to Les Miserables. One of my favorite 'soundtrack' songs is this one. It is Patty Griffin who sings it , but it is inspired by a speech from Martin Luther King, Jr. It finds its way onto my playlist several times a year.  So beautiful and it seems to swell into my most vulnerable moments. It is a song often sung between God and me. When it seems I can't go on any further. When hope seems too distant....but then I go on again. Because He loves me & He asks me to. 


"Up To The Mountain (MLK Song)"


I went up to the mountain
Because you asked me to
Up over the clouds
To where the sky was blue
I could see all around me
Everywhere
I could see all around me
Everywhere

Sometimes I feel like
I've never been nothing but tired
And I'll be walking
Till the day I expire
Sometimes I lay down
No more can I do
But then I go on again
Because you ask me to

Some days I look down
Afraid I will fall
And though the sun shines
I see nothing at all
Then I hear your sweet voice, oh
Oh, come and then go, come and then go
Telling me softly
You love me so

The peaceful valley
Just over the mountain
The peaceful valley
Few come to know
I may never get there
Ever in this lifetime
But sooner or later
It's there I will go
Sooner or later
It's there I will go 

3 comments:

  1. I love, love, love Patty Griffin, but I hadn't heard this song before. It is beautiful!

    And this line, it struck my heart: When hope seems too distant....but then I go on again. Because He loves me & He asks me to.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey there...I just popped over from Jen's. I love that thought that our lives have soundtracks ... nice to find your sweet blog.

    ReplyDelete
  3. coming to visit from Jen's...beautiful song..telling me softly you love me so!
    nice to meet you:)
    xo

    ReplyDelete