Thursday, July 12, 2012

The Day I Decided NOT To Be A Guru


This would have been a great Guru profile pic.

Today I decided not to become a Guru. It all started when I signed up for Klout. If you don't know, a Klout score is a way of measuring your influence. You can set up an account & it shows you your score & compares you to other people you know.

Great, another way to compare myself to those around me. I understand a tool like that is useful for companies or individuals whose jobs involve social media. But, for the rest of us?

I sat there & looked at all my friends who had higher scores & were listed as having expertise in a certain area. There was no expertise next to my name. Bummer. I guess there isn't an expertise field for Mongolian horsemanship or babysitting for murderers. Maybe I should quote more books?

Next I saw a barage of articles on how to improve my Klout score. A list of topics people respond to & how I can work to gain influence. I read all the articles on how to be a social media Guru. I felt the pressure to fix my lame score. How can I get more followers? How can I increase my retweets??? I was in a tailspin of social media depression. Gee gosh.

Fine, Klout. I'm not an expert. I don't tweet leadership tips or recipes.  I'm just a normal person. Is that so bad?

Charlie Sheen has a really high Klout score, but I don't know that many people would say he has influenced their lives. Having a lot of people know you makes you famous. Having people actually take what you say to heart & follow your advice...that is influence.

 I think about the people who have influenced my life the most. They probably aren't even on twitter. They didn't gather a massive following, instead they sat down with me one-on-one.

I'm not saying that Klout is bad. I do want to know how to maximize social media. But knowing your neighbor's name is pretty important too. Remembering a friends birthday (without facebook reminding you) is a rare form of relationship these days.

Do I still want to beat my husband to a million twitter followers? You betcha.

I want to make a difference.

But, I'm not going be a Guru. I'm gonna influence, but I'm not keeping score. Sorry Klout.

3 comments:

  1. Fabulous post! I've never signed up for Klout, but totally agree with you. I would rather know names than scores and I have enough to make me feel pressure without adding another social media to my life!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Mandy! Glad you liked the post. Klout probably helps some people, but it stressed me out!

    Liz

    ReplyDelete
  3. what your doing with your blog is awesome, I'm really happy for your unbound operation & happy everything's going well for y'all. i think kindness is more important to people than the guru function.

    ReplyDelete