Friday, November 4, 2011

Lessons From My 20s: Time Will Tell

In 28 days I will turn 30 years old. So, each day of November I am posting a lesson learned in my 20s. Today's lesson : Time Will Tell.



I tend to be an impatient person. If I have an idea I want to have all the steps figured out twenty minutes after it enters my brain. I will think through how I would explain it if asked and trouble shoot any potential problems. 

Decisions would be made like clockwork if I had my way. Ministry decisions, friendships, apostolic ideas would all have concrete plans. I would know how the story ends. I don't want to wait. I want to decide today.

I want to know where I am going to live. Which school my kids will attend. I want my question answered now and I want you to return my phone call immediatly...or I will text you until you respond.

Much to my irritation whenever I go to get advice the answer is usually, "Well, just wait and see." I don't want to wait and see. I want to know. Today. Forget waiting, I want to predict. 

Then I get restless and start to become stressed.  Finally I  realize that no matter how many scenarios I come up with I do have to wait and see. Time will tell. It will tell which decision is the best one. Time will give me perspective. 

Most importantly time lets me see what fruit is being produced by something. I can see what God is doing on a broader scope. I wait so my heart will calm down & I can hear that still small voice. What is God speaking and saying?

I would make immediate decisions to long-term problems if I had my way. Thankfully, I don't have my way. I have to wait. And time does tell. Simply waiting eliminates about 90% off the stressful, mind consuming filtering that I try and do on my own. 

Hopefully in my 30s I will be better at simply resting with God while He, in His timing, reveals the answers to all my questions. I hope I get better at that...but...time will tell.

1 comment:

  1. Nice time piece photo and also large enough for maybe andy rooney to make a seriously strange blog guest appearance...where ever he may be

    ReplyDelete