Sunday, November 6, 2011

Lessons From My 20s: Some Tips For Red Lips

In 26 days I turn 30! Each day of November I am writing something I have learned in my 20s. This one is for the girls - sorry guys. Come back tomorrow!


It may scare you. Intimidate you. Would you be brave enough to leave the house with it? Can you pull it off. Yes. You can. Red lipstick is your friend. The benefits of a berry pucker is huge.

Red lips make you look classic. The pop of color on your face gives the illusion of being well rested. As a mom I use this trick alot. But my favorite thing is that red lipstick makes even a pair of jeans and a simple T-shirt look like a chic outfit. It is a 30 second thing that creates a very big impact look.  I have two small kids. Not a lot of time to get ready. Honestly I do my hair & make up in ten minutes total. 

On a day when I need an extra punch I put on red lips. I feel confident & polished. Its amazing what it does for your mood. I always get compliments when I wear it. Following the compliment most women then say " I wish I could wear red. But I can't". I am here to say that you can. You just have to get the right shade and right formula. So, here is my very practical lesson of the day. Some tips for red lips:

  • Create the perfect canvas for a red mouth by keeping the rest of your makeup smooth & simple. Mascara, and some foundation. Maybe a hint of subtle blush if you are older and or don't have much natural flush. But keep color minimal.
  • Exfoliate your lips. (You should be doing it anyway). Get a toothbrush wet and lightly brush it over your lips. Now you have a smooth surface.
  • Smooth a lip balm on your lips to keep them looking soft under your color.
  • Use a neutral lip pencil that matches the shade of your natural lip, not the lipstick. 
  • Choose the right shade. Red lipstick varies from coral to burgundy. 
    • If you have cool undertones look for blue-based reds. Think crimson or a pinkish coral.
    • If you have warm undertones look for reds with a bit of orange in them. Classic fire engine red or coral. 
    • Deep complexions can wear rich shades like burgundy and dark berry.
    • If you don't know what your complexion is look at the veins on the underside of your wrist. If they are blue then you have a cool complexion. If they are green then you are warm.
  • Pick your formula. You can go for a classic, retro matte red. Or opt for a sheer red gloss. It just depends on the overall effect you want and how bold you wish to go. If you have thin lips stick with a gloss.
Okay. Red lips are my favorite. Give them a try!





No comments:

Post a Comment