Monday, February 20, 2012

The Thief Of Joy

Quote by Theodore Roosevelt


Good word Teddy Roosevelt. And Happy Presidents Day to you also.  I came across this quote a few days ago & it was beyond striking. 


Then this morning I came across this verse:


You're blessed when you're content with just who you are- no more, no less. That's the moment you find yourselves proud owners of everything that can't be bought...You're blessed when you can show people how to cooperate instead of compete or fight. That's when you discover who you really are, and your place in God's family." -Matt 5 (MSG)


I need to be reminded of this all the time! I am so quick to compare and cast judgement. I hold myself up against the standard I assume I am supposed to live up to. I never measure up. No matter how hard I try to imitate another person, my weaknesses spoil it. I get irritated at myself and my inabilities. I can start to drive myself crazy.


I compare myself with the people around me. I compare myself with my peers who seem to be more anointed than I am. I compare myself with who I used to be before I had kids & started living a sleep-deprived life. I compare myself with the woman I want to be in 20 years & get discouraged about the huge gap between where I am and where I want to go. I look around and acknowledge that if it came down to me or 'them', then they would win. Always. So, I concede. And, therefore, I lose.


Such a fantastic reminder that my true joy comes from being content with God's creation - me. Being content with who I am and who I am not. I am BLESSED when I rest in the truth that God created me & I stop striving to be someone else. 


I am BLESSED when I don't compare or compete with others. I have joy & a security in who God has made me to be.


So, be BLESSED today. There is a place for you & the way you have been carved in God's family. Have JOY in the way God made you...even if you drive yourself crazy sometimes.

No comments:

Post a Comment