Tuesday, February 14, 2012

It Is Valentine's Day After All

"Keep vigilant watch over your heart; that's where life starts." -Prov. 4:23

Well, it is that day. The day that is covered in hearts and roses. This afternoon I had to make a last minute run to the grocery store. I was staring down endless aisles of candy and all things red & pink, and I remembered the scripture listed above. Between convincing my children that they did not need candy and convincing myself that I didn't need it either, I began to think about my heart.

Not in the romantic way, in the identity way. My heart is the truest identity I have. The soul, the dreams, the most vulnerable of places. My heart is the core of God's design in me. That is why I asked God to come into my heart. The deepest, clearest, most unique expression of me. My heart.

My heart has been snagged by failure, wounded by rejection, misinterpreted beyond the point of confusion. My identity has had an identity crisis. Years of other's input, self-doubt, and many occasions that give proof to my greatest fear. My fear that I am not who I think I am. That I will never be that which I have dreamed.

I haven't been the best at keeping watch over my heart. Keeping watch over my identity. I have not defended myself against the places of pain that have shut me down. 

Since leaving the grocery store I have been giving it much thought. I feel stirred to love my own heart more. To nurture it and watch over it like Proverbs says. 

So, no matter what your Valentines day has been like - know this. Your heart matters. Your truest identity has captured the eye of God. Don't be lazy and let the world chip it away. Celebrate the things God has created in you.

Happy Valentines Day!

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for writing this Elizabeth. I needed to be reminded of it.

    ReplyDelete