Monday, February 21, 2011

Reflecting on a Freckle

This post is being typed very slowly due to the stitches in my left palm. I am unable to open my hand completely which makes both typing and packing up my house ( we move in 2 weeks!) difficult. Why do I have stitches in my palm? There developed a small freckle on my palm. Been there for years. It has slowly grown in size but nothing alarming. I kinda forgot about it.

At my doctors urging, I went to the dermatologist last week. He was concerned. It appears that only 5% of people will ever develop a benign mole/freckle on their palms...so statistics weren't looking that great for me. That means 95% of the time it is melanoma. And since it has been there for years, that wouldn't be a good thing. The chance that the cancer could have spread to other body parts would then be likely.

Today I got the results back that confirmed it was fine and I was one of the 5% that gets a mole on their palm just because. Thank you Jesus.

But it does make you think. I had lots of opportunity to keep my vain imagination in check. To ignore my paranoia that my body felt different and take thoughts captive that stole from my peace, joy and trust in Jesus. Not kicking fear in the face was draining me emotionally and mentally...had been for years but this was my chance to realize it.

I had a lot more patience with my kids. Getting up with them in the middle of the night wasn't so painful b/c I remembered how valuable spending time with them was. Even if it is 2 a.m. The mess Tait made from putting dog food in the dishwasher would end up a funny story one day. And what a gift to live long enough to tell funny stories. Saying goodbye to Seattle and it's people wasn't so bittersweet...what an honor to have walked with these people for six years and share life together.

Something so small as a freckle offered a perspective shift when it was needed most.

3 comments:

  1. we had a scare with my husband's fingernail {line down the middle - very possibly melanoma} over christmas, and we had a similar wake up call about appreciating the everyday. such a bittersweet blessing. thankfully, like you, he was just fine, no melanoma.

    good luck and god bless your move that you talked about! i'm sure that moving with children is quite the undertaking!

    ReplyDelete
  2. man that must have been so scary liz. so glad you are going to live to be old and awesome! i love you! and i want more posts. i miss you and they help. love, sarah

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think Elizabeth we all take for granted our health and sometimes we all need a wake up call to the "givens" of life. Praying for the transition your family is. Leaning forward and yet being fully present till you walk out the door will definitely require walking in pain. Thanks for the HUGE deposits you and yours have made in Seattle. So you guys found a place to live?

    ReplyDelete