Thursday, August 30, 2012

The Lie About Endings


Throwing it back Thursday style. Here is one from Oct. 2011.


My dad said something really profound the other day. "You wanna hear a lie?" he asked. "All good things must come to an end."

I kinda stared at him for a minute waiting to hear the punchline. Then it sunk in. Deep down, way deeper than I know, there is a part of me that believes anything good has a shelf life.

If you are anything like me, and many of you are, you spend your days anxious without really knowing why. The other day I had absolutely no plans. Zero. Yes, it is shocking. But I woke up and got a bit frantic about my day. I tried to rush my kids through breakfast, and got annoyed when they took their time.

Impatience escalated when I found myself stuck behind a slow driver (remember that I didn't have to be anywhere at any particular time.) Finally I passed the guy, but I began to wonder as I felt the satisfaction of pulling in front of him..."Why am I in such a hurry?"

As you know I am quite fond of pondering. So, I started to really think about it. Eventually I admitted that I live my life with an underlying sense of panic and dread. Nothing manic or over-the-top. Just enough to keep my anxiety humming at a low level. Just enough to keep me tired and skeptical.

When my dad said people live believing that good things have to end, my emotions made a lot of sense. I keep waiting for something bad to happen. I discovered that I even interpreted scriptures this way. All those verses about not fearing, Him giving us strength, grace...they must be because horrible things are going to happen. Embarrassing to admit, but its true. 

We can't be healthy forever, someone must be on the verge of sickness.
Every marriage has their rough patches, I guess we are about due for one.
My life is so full of transitions, I can't put roots down...they will just be pulled up.
My times with Jesus have been so rich lately, better soak it up before I hit another desert.
I am going to risk, but I will brace for disappointment. Its just a part of the journey.
There are more valleys than mountain tops...

The past few months I have been going through life waiting for the bottom to drop out from under me. No wonder I am tired and restless deep inside. I have opted out of rest, trust and joy in God. Bummer.

Like I said earlier, most of you are like me. You say it is 'wisdom' but it is really doubt. You can't quite fill up emotionally, stress is easily triggered, and deep down you are waiting for your fears to happen. 

Lets trade our "bah humbug" for a "hallelujah".  See, the Kingdom never stops. The goodness and power of God never reaches it's maximum. We waste our time and energy waiting for 'the catch'. His goodness and promises don't come to an end. They are ETERNAL. He is ETERNAL. 

"...I've picked you. I haven't dropped you. Don't panic. 
I'm with you. 
There is no need to fear for I'm your God. I'll give you strength. 
I'll help you. I'll hold you steady, keep a firm grip on you." Isaiah 41:10 (MSG)

2 comments:

  1. This is so true, friend. I like what Beth Moore said once - we worry and worry and eventually something bad happens, and all we've done is finally proven ourselves right and sucked the joy out of all those times when something bad didn't happen.

    I've struggled a lot with the "the other shoe is about to drop" mentality. By the time my wedding was over, I was a bit shocked I didn't tragically die in a car wreck during my engagement, because I just new that was the sort of thing that would happen to me.

    Thanks for a great post today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sarah, I am so glad you didn't die in a freak car accident before your wedding. Amazing how we all have those fears isn't it?

      Delete