Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Top 10 Dumbest Trends I've Taken Part In


We were riding in the car home from IKEA and I thought about a really stupid trend from jr high...which got me wondering...What are the dumbest trends I've taken part in. Here they are. Don't judge me.

1. Pillsbury Dough Boy Shirts. Who came up with this??? Great for Pillsbury, bad for everyone one else. I honestly don't know why this had such mass appeal, but I had one. I wore it often with my wide leg pants. It's such a wonder I didn't have a boyfriend.

2. Long chains hanging from jean pockets. Okay, I didn't personally have this, but I dated several guys who sported this look. Which means I was attracted to this trend, and that is far worse. Point? Whats the point? Maybe they were supposed to look tough, but I doubt James Dean would have worn one.

3. Beanie Babies. Why did we believe that these were going to be super valuable and we should all collect them? I didn't exactly collect them, but I did get some as gifts. I kept them because they were supposed to be worth millions by 2025 or something. Obviously, that didn't quite pan out.

4. "You Go Girl". I think that I may have said this phrase a few times in 2001. A decision I deeply regret. Thankfully, this phrase is no longer in use with the exception of a few middle-aged white women.

5. Spiral Perms. In elementary school, my parents had a brief lapse in judgement. This included letting me get a perm. A spiral perm. Permanent spirals are never good...its very similar to vertigo. Which, is what you would get if you saw pictures of me in first grade.

6. The Macarena. Apart from the 'Bunny Hop' this is the dumbest dance. I proudly danced the macarena. I think it is because it is one of the only dances I could do. Still, this whole macarena thing should never have happened.

7. Rope Sandals. Yes, it is what you think. Sandals made out of rope. Perhaps you don't remember this trend. I'm not sure if it was a wide spread thing, but at Midway High School or Highland Baptist Youth Group...it was. I had them & I looked like a hippie...which isn't my best look. And they smelled.

8. Brick colored lipstick. I don't know why all lipstick in the late 90s was the color of a faded brick, but it was. Including mine. The cast of 'Friends' pulled it off...but no one else. Actually they didn't either, but their haircuts carried them through.

9. Uggs with all day gym wear. The only person who need this outfit is an aerobic eskimo. I did this a few times in college...hey, I was in a sorority. What do you expect?

10. AOL Chatrooms. Ha! Yes, I did on occasion visit chat rooms. Thankfully Facebook came along and put an end to these. I hope.

Okay, those are my top ten. Feel free to write yours in the comments.

12 comments:

  1. I think we can come up with a Top 10 list just from Midway. In fact, here next to me sits a huge box full of photographic evidence. Oh yes. I have it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We should come up with one from Midway! And I have evidence too...don't think I won't post a picture of you from Corpus.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Liz, I smiled and/or laughed out loud at every one of these. I love the way you think and write. The only transgressions I have to add were more committed by men, I believe:
    1) Leather braided belts
    2) Not being able to dance the macarena. At least not the hip sway part. Awkward city.

    You're a jewel.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, the braided belt!!! Thank you for bringing that to our attention.

    ReplyDelete
  5. halarious. but i think the closest james dean ever got to tough was drunk. one of the smartest trends was definitely the snap bracelet. have you seen the colorful ipod nano snap bracelet holders for gen 6? they're awesome. oh, and in fifteen years, i think i might have a million dollars for your garcia bear.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh and from my generation there was mood rings, I had some high top tennis shoes that were like boots in bright blue and bell bottom pants with huge orange flowers on them. Elizabeth we've all got to wear some of those strange things as will your kids as well. I think it's like racking up pool balls, we all find ourselves hanging out together in silliness. All my love to you and yours.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I had a braided belt. Every male did in the early to mid '90s. Sadly, some men still have them. And those rope sandals did smell.

    ReplyDelete
  8. lol! loved this liz! i used to love hypercolor tshirts. and tying your tshirt in a knot on the side to make it shorter/more fitted. and platform flipflops. and ankle bracelets!! ahahahaha.

    incidentally, braided belts are back in! they are thinner, and i wear it over a cardigan...its cute!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yes, I love the little braided belts...it was more in reference to men wearing braided belts. With Dockers probably. I forgot about the platform flipflops. I had those!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Umm... Braided belts and Dockers are OUT?! Just last week, with all my Christmas money I had saved up...

    Well, dang!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I had a great laugh. Thanks for the perk in my morning.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Okay, you got me. Nothing deep in this post. But I love it!

    Harkening back a few more years were Coca Cola shirts and Swatch watches. Both of which I had. Along with tall, concrete-like bangs. All pictures are safely locked away in a bank vault. Or buried in a drawer at my parents' house. One or the other.

    ReplyDelete